Poem Definitions XL-XLIV


XL. Restlessness, For Ben

Division at war within me
To hold onto splintered memory
Or cling to present divinity,
His comfort that will sear away
Every ill wrought desire
Wait, be still, give Him sway
Cure this restlessness with retire
Of all the dreams long flown;
Leave the past as compost
And leave the future to its own.
What is man but a fleeting shadow,
And marred faces but transition?
Love is more than foolery
Although its drunkards are often fools
But such never drain the cup dry.
Love remembers the righteous perish,
And holding a banner to the wicked,
Run Oh evil and be blinded,
You ruin is when justice is handed,
Carry on Oh noble heart bravely,
Undivided in hopeful serenity.


XLI. Rugby, for Daddy

The turf was torn but green
shaking off athletic mien
I remained reflecting awe,
Soaking in the beauty that I saw.
I had never been impressed before
By any sport or competition,
But by some odd observance swore
I saw rugby so full of perfect grace, in opposition
To the impression of opinion, I still confessed
My father laughed, he laughs at me still,
"Daughter proved it by poetry possessed!"
So here I state the mastered strength, gazelle
Leaping over open mighty hands
Reaching to snare Marmion and the prize,
The courage of risking unnatural bends
Or power propelling from calf and thighs
This men are not hid in armor but with skin
these giants dance a violent battle,
For the glory to honor history and kin.
I was taken by the masculine strength
Impressed by the dexterity in their forms,
Yes father, load your shotgun,
Fire off their mighty charms.


XLII. Pizza, for Jaden

We talk of pies in New York
The deeper dish from Chicago
And devoted devourors contend
But all is imitated Roman in the end.
Taste a slice with sliced fruit
Or anchovies on the fuzzy side
Whatever rightful claim they might pretend
All pizzerias will thank Italians in the end.
I am no pizza lover
And tomatoes make me ill
But still I will discover
The Sky's Pie is in Colosseum shadow
And other who take his name are just his widow.


XLIII. Grace, for Haley

After many months he spoke to me
And I was amazed that he should
Had I not been cold and foolish?
Wounded, bound in fidget words?
His eyes were a timid mercy
Gazing again in mine
I was afraid of what he saw there,
An excuse to turn away from me?
He left me with a new warmth inside,
And I found this grace a touch of salt
Which logic drove into my bleeding wound
"I forgot that G-d was gracious"
And the whole night I wept and prayed,
"L-rd, can you with to heal me,
Although this heart is full of gangrene?"
I thought only an amputation
For a limb petrified by my bitter-heart.
But You are the resurrection
And delight to banish death by breathing life
L-rd of mercies, I am in love with Thee,
Remind me that I love a healing Master,
And You have bound Your heart to me.


XLIV. Haven, for Jan

How do I find a haven
While I am alone at sea;
As waves and flames are striving
To drown and abandon me?
What can I hold that will not bend,
under alteration by Time or Man?
Is there a haven before Heaven
And will it welcome me?
I am uncertain who can help
As I tremble in the ashes of my home
And I dread that they will judge me
Condemn me for my wounded faith.
I need to weep my strength out
Then I will be strong again.
Friends, may your hands be gentle,
My mind is rebuilding memories
And truth is a comfort I have forgotten
Or I have forgotten how to hold it comfortably.
People tell me it is a hammer
Yet are mad that I have struck my thumb.
I am mad at this too!
And I have more maddening reason
For I am lost in my own village
With two haunting options:
To hide in the comfort of despairing darkness
Or weep amid my ashes.
Still, as I weep I find Him,
The Home I long to meet.
And in my weakness He sustains me;
He gives me rest and good food to eat.
In time He will teach me how to build again
And that is how the tide will not take me
As I build my haven safely on the tossing sea.

Comments

Popular Posts