Poem Definitions XXI-XXV

XXI. EPIGENETIC, for Jeremy
It was in my fathers making
To suffer, to fear the idea of slavery
Yet to crave it as a comfort to have known
Than the responsibility that freedom breeds.
We inherited a memory of a terror
That which stripped our grandmothers to the bones
Tell me I possess more than just her curls
Say I have her determined spirit's gaze
That my design is made for service
A march in perfect time with David's step
All of this genetic perculiarity
That set many nation's teeth on edge
Is bound with a genetic expectation
From one of us, so boldly cursed,
Comes also our long intended restoration.
What else do epigenetic prove
Than the mark on Zion, impossible to remove.

XXII. WOOL SOCKS: LEFT FOOT, for Chase
Cotton hurts my hands
That is why I would never use it
See, wool no longer scratches
As it did the seamen off to sea.
How smoothly cast are the woolen stitches
More smooth than the shadowed mast
More uniform than a ballet dance
How neatly tucked in each perfect slot
Four needles making crocheters cross
That their boxen tubes will slaughter the ankle
Such a craft gives no bending, no comfort thought.
But here we have some stately gussets
That curve the heel
And Captain Kitchener's stitches
Seal all your toes within.

XXIII. PERPLEXED, for Sukka
How clear the road did seem!
How confident my ignorant heart had been!
All forces were pressing forward
But to the world's end, that's all?
My feet were on the final foot of land
Still pressed the urging command
To have me step the further up and further in
To dive off of the planet's edge
There to discover Death, or else oblivion
Or Perhaps that the world was always round
And the stars that I see be fore me
Are mere reflections from the cloudless sky
On a perfect shore in holy rest
Do I then disturb this with a booted crest?
If this step is sacred, and faith will prove the ground
The I will wear Moses' shoes, laces unbound.

XXIV. LOVE, for Cynthia
It was more than mere feeling,
We can't be responsible for just that,
And here I felt great responsibility.
His memory and I reproach myself with blame
Although I never bore that burden lightly
And delighted in his name;
Though I was always faithful to our cause
And suffered every hint of his retreating
I never tightened any of his bonds
Still I find some fault in my loving
I find it accusing when i long to speak
Of some simple nothing that just occurred to me
I know he in all the world will care to know;
But I shall never share it, his share is lost at sea.
Oh Death would be a kinder blow than these sympathies
For Death respects no man's feelings and is not conquered
But love, love in courage always remains.
I'll wear your chapter like a medallion,
One that repays a bitter battle's wound.
I will earn many more in Love's service
And you know I delight in Heaven's test.
I prize the sweet memory forever,
Back when our battlefield had been a place of rest.

XXV. TOKEN, for Andrew
More than a mild adornment
He garnered 'round his arm
The lady's name entrusted
A prayer against his harm,
His pledge was in her colours,
As spoken under passion's charm;
The kerchief was no mere ribbon
But her answer should he win.

Comments

Popular Posts