Letters Between Lovers Part I


 SCENE: In great agitation, a young woman confesses her affection for a young man who although dear to her she believed ignorant of her growing warmth toward him. The contrast between them brings her to despair but courage breeds her honest.

OF A NIGHTINGALE TO A SWAN
How can I reconcile my thoughts of thee?
One moment beloved, centre of all charities;
Another wretched, the captor of my miseries.
The very heartbeat that beats me sore of thought
And drowns in thy praise so tender wrought.
I think "He, so radiant that nature clad in gold,
If he knew my devoted prayer would surely scold
This wretched dreary bird donned in muddy shades
Who did dare raise her feathers to rest beside
That now at sight his colour fades.

O' daring soul, be still! Rest O' hungry heart!
Dream not that which in waking aches thee--
That he is so silent by daylight to thy plea
Which his phantom self at night might greet.
These are the serenades of a love far more than sweet
That enhances the beauty of my eye- and in his
When meeting kindly so-- displays a matching bliss.
Does he dream of so brown and so base a little bird?
What enchantment should draw his heart if not the song
                                          Which sings an unmarked word?




Comments

Popular Posts