Poem Definitions: XXVI-XXVIII

XXVI. EUCASTROPHE, Jacob Palmer

I had stopped believing;
Too much pleasure feels like pain.
All the good that I remember
Dies at the truth of memory,
The nature of a moment passed.
I wandered in a ghostly path
Past sand dunes at the lake
The sedge was withered,
The birds were voiceless now.
No hint of hope remained
And the empty space was suffocating
Although in passing strangers whispered
Rumors that I was cursed or plagued
I drew my rags around me closer,
Forgotten when they were bright & clean.
I was abandoned to my thoughts receeding
Yet one rebuke stays caught within me,
"Come to me O' frightful Queen;
Sow not the streets with blessed tears,
But enter in my gates a pearly rest
Where all is washed. Retreating fears
Will not approach your heart again."
I was not a Queen, but then He married me
For He saw what was as it was meant to be.


XXVII. MOSS, Claire Putney

It came upon us slowly
As we bickered through the night
Our stomachs hungered
As the daythings slumbered
But time was on their side.
If we had been contented
With mutton slowly fried
Or the tender skins
Of the farmer's kin
We might have just survived
But divisive thoughts divided us
So here we stand today;
Lichen beards and mossy ears
Proving sunlight's power
Over our dark troll hide.
Proof that stone-cold is the outcome
Of a kitchen filled with pride.

XXVIII. TEMPESTUOUS, Jonah Davis

Do not Forbid my wrath O' Oceans,
I will traverse or die in thee!
Watch my widowed sails
Pressing on the wind
Consider not, O' beastly nature
That you drive me to my journey's end.
I am the captain, your fits are my command.

Do not be then mutenous
But receive my strong-willed stern
And if I aim me for the rocks
Do not shy from this hellish bend!
I am no measly sailor
I know what I intend
Here I am the captain, obey at my command!

Do not forgive me thy temper
Bring on the winds and rain!
I will reach my wanton lover
In the depths or in the bay!
Do not forbid me Davy's Locker,
I dread no tantrum you could send
For I am yet the captain, you follow my command.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts